The Tuscarawas County Public Library System is joining other libraries across the country in offering Adulting 101 workshops for teens and adults this fall.
“These classes are becoming popular in libraries throughout the country,” said Adult & Teen Services Manager Robyn Guedel.
Guedel said that at a time when both parents often work outside the home and frequently full-time, teens and some adults have found that they are lacking in skills that in the past would have been passed down from one generation to the next. At the same time, in our schools there is a greater emphasis on testing and other mandates making classes like home economics and shop less commonly offered.
“Adulting 101 classes at libraries have become a way for both teens and adults to attend library events where they can gain useful tips and skills that help them to navigate adulthood successfully,” said Guedel.
Workshops being offered across the county system include:
- Sewing Basics: September 10th at 6:30 p.m. at the Main Library (121 Fair Ave. NW) for ages 13-29.
- Savings 101: September 14th at 4:00 p.m. at the Sugarcreek Branch (120 S. Broadway)
- Microsoft Excel: Create a Basic Budget: September 22nd at 10:00 a.m. at the Main Library Limit: 6
- Eat Like an Adult: October 9th at 3:00 p.m. at the Main Library for grades 6-12.
- Women’s Self Defense: October 9th 5:30 p.m. at the Main Library
- Taxes Simplified: October 23rd at 6:00 p.m. at the Bolivar Branch (455 W. Water St.) Limit: 20.
- Gift Wrapping Basics: November 12th at 6:30 p.m. at the Main Library for ages 13-29.
- Finances 101: November 15th at 6:00 p.m. at the Strasburg Branch (356 5th St. SW)
- Life Hack: Packing Like a Pro: November 15th at 6:00 p.m. at the Tuscarawas Branch (209 S. Main St.)
To register or for more information on the Adulting 101 workshops, follow the links above, or call your nearest TCPL location: Main Library 330-364-4474, Bolivar 330-874-2720, Strasburg 330-878-5711, Sugarcreek 330-852-2813 or Tuscarawas 740-922-2748.