The Tuscarawas County Public Library System will host an Earth Day 5K Walk/Run on Sunday, April 24th at 10:00 am with a route that will take participants through the Southside Community Park in New Philadelphia.
The race will be part of a bigger Earth Day Celebration that the County Library will be hosting at the new park located at 1320 Oldtown Valley Road SE, in New Philadelphia. More information about the celebration and the route for the race will be announced closer to the date.
“Runners interested in participating can stop into one of our five locations (Main Library, Bolivar, Strasburg, Sugarcreek, or Tuscarawas) to complete and turn in a registration form,” said Public Relations Associate Molly Calhoun Bowers. “They can also access the form on our website at and mail it into the library.”
According to Calhoun, early registration is underway for this Earth Day-themed race until April 1st with fees of $30 for adults and $15 for kids (Grades K- Age 17). Race day registration fees will remain the same price but those who register before April 1st will be guaranteed a t-shirt.
“Because of Covid-19, we have taken a two-year break from hosting our annual 5Ks, and we are eager to see the turnout for this year’s race,” said Calhoun Bowers. “We are looking forward to seeing participants of all levels and abilities turn out to support their library.”
According to Director Michelle McMorrow Ramsell, proceeds from the Earth Day 5K will benefit the library’s annual Summer Reading Program. The County Library hosts a yearly Summer Reading Challenge for library users of all ages.
“Our customers really look forward to our Summer Reading Programs each year, and with the additional funds raised through this 5K, we will be able to ensure that continues for years to come,” said McMorrow Ramsell. “We love being able to give each child who completes their Summer Reading a free book and giving community members a chance to win great prizes and experience things at the library that they might not otherwise be able to afford to attend.”
5K participants will receive goodie bags the day of the race, and those who register before April 1st will also receive a t-shirt. Awards will be given to top runners. Cash or check are accepted for registration. Make checks payable to the Tuscarawas County Public Library System.
Calhoun said the 5K committee is currently seeking t-shirt sponsors. For more information on sponsorship or registration for the library’s Earth Day 5K, please call 330-364-4474 ext. 221.
The route for the 5K trail run has been established for our race! See the following map below for details.
1. Start/Finish lines will be near the soccer fields. Please park in the parking lot closest to the fields for easiest access. (989 Perry Dr SE, New Philadelphia, OH 44663) [Pink Triangle]
2. The route will take walkers and runner around the perimeter of the field adjacent to the start/finish line, down the established path towards the pollinator garden and over the pedestrian bridge. [Yellow Triangles]
3. Take a right after crossing the bridge, carefully cross the road at the park entrance and continue across the second pedestrian bridge. Pass the dog park and keep going straight to follow the complete perimeter of the rectangular field ahead. You will do this a second time. (2 laps around the field) [Red Triangles]
4. After finishing your second lap around the field, you will go left (instead of right) toward the restrooms and pollinator garden. [Green Triangles]
5. Once in the pollinator garden, follow the winding path to run the outside perimeter of the garden and then exit over the third pedestrian bridge toward the trail. [Green Triangles]
6. Once on the trail, take a left and follow the trail until you see a marking telling you to turn right, continue until you see a marking telling you to turn left. [Green Triangles]
7. Once you exit the trail, you will take a right and follow the complete outside perimeter of the two soccer fields near the parking area. [Blue Triangles]
8. After finishing the perimeter of the second field, you will end up back where you started and cross the finish line! [Pink Triangle]
*Please note that this is a trail run and that all activity will take place on grass, gravel, and other uneven surfaces.